Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Life is Funny

Sorry for not writing for a while. It appears I go thru phases lol. Anyway, thought I would share this funny little tidbit with you from the other day at work...

A woman came by to look at the Center. I was on my way out, and only Don Luis was left at the Center. She was Chela (White), but began by speaking to me in Spanish, so I responded to her in Spanish. Meanwhile, I went back to get Luis, and then responded to her quickly in English, saying he was coming to meet her at the other door. She asked me in Spanish, what? And I replied (albeit a bit slower :) in Spanish.

Turns out she was French and didn´t speak a word of English (or, if she did, was not interested in using it). I should have known--she was driving an oh-so-Euro Peugeot (The brand that looks like Ferrari and that I have no idea how to pronounce!) Anyway, she had offered me a ride to the bus stop, and I happily accepted (Since she did not appear to be a mass murderer, Mom and Dad).

Anyway, so she explained to me in the car that she had married a Nicaraguan and had been living here for about 20 years. She lived pretty close to where I did, but apologized profusely that she wasn´t headed in that direction right now. She was also amazed that I took the buses here...she said she had never taken one in her 20 years here. She also said that she and her husband were interested in renting out the Kairos pavillion because it was reasonably priced and in a cool location, unlike many of the areas in Managua. All the while, I was thinking what a crazy, funny world this is--here is a Frenchwoman speaking to me in Spanish and little gringa me is responding and having a conversation with her in Spanish about the Nicaraguan bus system.

So, even though I pulled an ¨Amurrican¨ and assumed that because she was white she spoke English, I recovered nicely and we had a good convo and I got a free ride to the bus stop. Life is good :)

No comments: