Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cuban Theater Festival

Last Thursday we went to see a play called Delirio Habanero (Havana/Havanic? Delirium). I really enjoyed it, though I understood about 50% of it. (Lessons in humility, right?) The theater reminded me of a spiffier version of Theater 2 at JMU :)

So, I definitely got that the one guy was crazy, and that the 3 main characters wanted to open a bar, as well as making references to Celia Cruz. But, it wasn't until I read the pamphlet after that I discovered that it was 3 crazies, one of which thought she was Celia Cruz, another Benny More, and the 3rd, the legendary Cuban barman Varilla. Kind of makes me wish I had read the pamphlet before the play. Oh well. I enjoyed the singing, dancing, and probably 1/3 of the jokes. :) By now, all of my false pretentions about Spanish have gone out the window anyway, and I've realized that you have to listen, speak, and submit yourself to humiliating sitches as much as possible to keep getting better.

Also, cool sidenote, the local celebs were all in attendance there. The richest woman in the country, who owns just about everything in Nicaragua from a bank chain to sugar and rum companies, was in attendance, as well as many other high-profilers. I felt cool lol.

No comments: