Monday, June 16, 2008

Money, Money, Money, Money, Mon-ah!

So I am trying this new thing out. Some of you may have heard of this wacky thing before. It´s called a budget.

In all seriousness though, I am trying to limit myself to $2 of spending money a day. That, plus my approximately $8 a day that I pay for housing and food, will bring me to a grand total of $10 a day. I figure that´s what the average Managuan is living off of daily, and though I probably won´t ever fully understand what it means to have this kind of income, I want to come closer to understanding.

Already I have run across a couple thoughts...for example, I will probably have to cheat when you lovely folks come down to visit, and there have been moments when I am scared of running late and have thoughts of just flagging down a taxi instead of waiting for who knows how long for the next bus. BUT, I haven´t cheated yet, and I really am enjoying more fully immersing myself in the life here.

I know eventually the novelty will wear off, but it´s presenting some interesting challenges for now..for example, the women where I live have a woman come in to wash their clothes every couple days, so I have to think, will that fit in my budget? Do I cheat to help give a Nicaraguan more income? Or do I stick to my guns? And, when I go to church, do I put in more than everyone else because I can, or do I stick to what fits in my budget? Also, you figure that with my health insurance at home, I am technically spending more than $10 a day.

So far, I have been doing pretty well, though. The first week I spent 345 Cordobas, or $17.25 dollars, which comes out to $2.46 per day. This last week I spent half a cordoba more (approximately 2.5 cents), so as you can imagine, right around the same amount. I may have to make my budget $10.50 or $11 per day, though it doesn´t sound as good lol.

Opinions? Suggestions? I would love to hear what you think about this, and all the innate questions that come along with it. Please share!

3 comments:

Mike Jones said...

I am trying the same thing here. The only tough part is when co-workers or friends want to go to the beach or out somewhere. But if I can do it, you can do it.

Mike Jones said...

p.s. I haven't accomplished the 3 dollars a day on food yet, but I am working on it. Also thanks for the shoutout.

butchie said...

Color me impressed. In my experience, it's just as valuable to go through the process as it is to meet your goal, because of what you learn about your neighbors and yourself. So no matter how "successful" you are, I think it will be a success. Good luck, and keep me updated on how it goes!